Open Position: Web Intern, Marketing Department, Avalon Travel and Seal Press
For anyone interested in a publishing career, experience is a must. Avalon Travel and Seal Press, located in Berkeley, California, have strong reputations for providing interns with the skills they need to build a career in the competitive field of book publishing. We offer a comfortable atmosphere in which the challenges of hard work and tight deadlines are met with enthusiasm. We seek interns who are both hardworking and fun, and who will welcome the opportunity to take on more significant responsibilities than those typically offered in internship programs.
Reports to: Marketing Technologies Director
Term: Fall 2013 (October through December)
Hours: 16 – 24/week, flexible schedule
The Web Intern is involved in the creation and publishing of Avalon Travel and Seal Press websites, including Moon Travel Guides’ reader-facing site, Moon.com. Under the direction and supervision of Marketing Department staff, the Web Intern will learn how to identify, create, style, and publish content for both business- and consumer-facing sites, as well as for social media. The Web Intern will experience being part of a large, independent publishing house, and witness the publishing process firsthand.
Projects may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify guidebook content to publish to website
- Style content using basic HTML coding
- Write post titles, excerpts, and pullquotes
- Source photos
- Proof content
- Check and correct book data
- Create posts and shareable items for social media pages
- Other site maintenance as needed
What kind of person are we looking for?
Experience or study in marketing, web design and editorial, and publishing is a plus, but not a requirement. Interest in book publishing is essential.
How to Apply
- Send a RESUME and COVER LETTER, both as MICROSOFT WORD or PDF attachments, to email@example.com. DO NOT send any other material or in any other form. Other materials will be discarded and other forms will not be opened.
- Please write the internship name in the subject of your email so we notice your inquiry faster.
- We do not accept phone calls concerning the internship program. Our schedules are flexible to accommodate work or other course work. This is an UNPAID internship.
Avalon Travel publishes several major travel guidebook series: Rick Steves; Moon, which includes Moon Handbooks, Moon Metro, Moon Outdoors, and Moon Living Abroad; The Dog Lover’s Companion series; the best-selling guidebook Road Trip USA; and individual travel titles.
Since 1976, Seal Press has published groundbreaking books that represent the diverse voices and interests of women—their lives, literature, and concerns. Seal’s authors are radical and original thinkers, professionals with a distinct point of view, gutsy explorers, truth-tellers, and writers who engender laughter, tears, and rage.