You’re never far from a great cheesesteak in Philly, and it’s true that they are simply not as good anywhere else. They’re served in every neighborhood, at diners and in bars, out of food trucks and storefront windows, and in restaurants serving upscale twists on the classic. Just remember, you’re in Philly, so it’s just a cheesesteak, not a “Philly cheesesteak.”
- Pat’s King of Steaks and Geno’s Steaks, the famous dueling spots in South Philly, are worth a visit for the cultural experience.
- Jim’s Steaks, a Philadelphia landmark and regular stop for visiting celebs, serves superior steaks.
- At centrally-located Tony Jr.’s, dress up your cheesesteak with add-ons like broccoli rabe or roasted peppers.
- Locals claim that no-frills John’s Roast Pork, in business since 1930, serves the best sandwiches in town.
- Add a side of cheese fries or onion rings at Chubby’s Steaks, and order a beer to wash it all down.
Excerpted from the Third Edition of Moon Philadelphia.