Cuba & Costa Rica Blog
About this blog
Written by Cuba and Costa Rica expert Christopher P. Baker, this blog will update readers on life in these two diverse and exciting countries.
- Last blog post on Costa Rica and Cuba
- First-ever group motorcycle tours of Cuba successful
- Cuba’s Mariel port readying for Panama Canal expansion
- Musings on wildlife encounters on Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula
- Cuba’s Steam Trains puffing their last gasp
- My top five thrilling activities in Costa Rica
- Cuba’s fun February festivals include Harleys, Books, Cigars
- Five top volcano viewing experiences in Costa Rica
- New road along Costa Rica / Nicaraguan border mired
- Cuba’s Hotel Campoamor at Cojímar to be restored?
- Cuban revolutionary Celia Sánchez honored in new book
- Christmas challenge for Costa Rica’s sexually abused girls
- Costa Rica opens Chinatown in downtown San José
- David Soul films Hemingway’s car restoration in Cuba
- National Geographic Expeditions receives license for Cuba tours
Rare signed hardback copies of 'Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba' now available!
Many of my readers know that I researched the first edition of Moon Cuba astride my BMW R100 GS Paris-Dakar motorcycle. What an adventure! It resulted a few years later in publication of my literary travelog, Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba (National Geographic Adventure Press, 2001). The book was named the Lowell Thomas Award "Travel Book of the Year" and also won the Grand Award in the North American Travel Journalists' Association.
Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba has since been published in Dutch, German, and Turkish.
It is currently available as a paperback at bookstores in North America.
Seeking a hardback edition? No problem... I can supply signed hardback copies for the low price of ONLY $29.95 plus shipping! You get my signature for FREE!
Here are a few snippets of praise...
"This is a wonderful adventure book... a meditation on philosophy, politics, and the possibilities of physical love. It has the depth of a novel and the feeling of a great love story.”
– Judges, Lowell Thomas Awards
"Chris Baker's chaotic pilgrimage–by turns sharp-eyed, lustful, poetic, feverish, and joyful–brings a tropical nation of 10 million to vivid, pulsating life."
– Ted Simon, author of 'Jupiter's Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph'
"'Mi Moto Fidel' should be in the briefcase of every man in midlife. The erotically charged adventure through the forbidden island by a man on a motorcycle in his 40s is a fantastic fantasy realized... It captures a whole reeling time and place with prickly cinematic takes."
– Richard Bangs, adventurer and former Editor-in-Chief Expedia.com