Moon Staff Blog
About this blog
The Moon Water Cooler is a place for Moon staffers to share what's new in their world. Check back often to hear about author events, book releases, travel trends, and maybe even some staff recommendations for what part of the world to explore next.
- Two Reasons This Week is Awesome: Earth Day and National Park Week
- The Glory, the Groundwork, and the Grind of Travel Writing
- Finding Pizza Nirvana in Nashville
- Guest Interview: Exploring Offbeat Mexico with Churpa Rogers
- Guest Interview: The People's Guide to Mexico Authors Carl Franz and Lorena Havens
- Guest Post: Top 10 Gifts for Road Trippers
- Hawaii Giveaway Winner Announced
- Win a Round-Trip Ticket to Hawaii from Moon and Hawaiian Airlines!
- Why Moving to Belize Isn’t as Hard as You’d Think
- From Dosas to Dumplings: My Eight Favorite Toronto Restaurants
- Guest Post: At Least We Have Pizza – The Cost of Living in Mexico vs. New York City
- Hawai'i: A Foodie Paradise — Part Two
- Hawai'i: A Foodie Paradise — Part One
- Exploring California via Road Trip with Moon California Road Trip
- Enjoying the Outdoors in the Black Hills of South Dakota
My husband and I are headed to Cancun next week for a wedding, and I can hardly wait!
This will be my first trip to Mexico. Well… other than the quick three-hour jaunt I took to Juarez many years ago to buy a cold beer when attending a student journalism convention in El Paso. A bunch of us were under 21 at the time, and it just felt like the right thing to do after a long day of work. Like I said… many moons ago.
My father is from Mexico, and I’ve long wanted to explore this amazing country. I know Cancun will be more touristy than I want, but it’s a start. And hopefully it will lead to many more trips. My real dream is to really explore the state of Sinaloa, where my dad is from (he was born in Mazatlan, long before it was taken over by hotels). It’s also the home state of the mother of my dear friend, Jessica. Maybe we can go together someday. I’ll need her strong Spanish speaking skills. Sadly, mine are a little hit and miss.
Since my love of Mexican food runs deep, I'll be looking for good eats. If anyone has any restaurant suggestions they’d like to send my way, I'd appreciate it. Of course, I'll be taking along Moon Cancun and Cozumel, but reader suggestions are always helpful!
I'll make sure to post again after I'm back from my trip. Something tells me it will be filled with lots of relaxing, celebrating with friends, seeing some ruins, and of course, tipping a cold Pacifico Clara in my father’s honor. It’s made in his hometown, and it’s the official Rios family beer.
Online Marketing Manager