Moon Staff Blog
About this blog
The Moon Water Cooler is a place for Moon staffers to share what's new in their world. Check back often to hear about author events, book releases, travel trends, and maybe even some staff recommendations for what part of the world to explore next.
- Two Reasons This Week is Awesome: Earth Day and National Park Week
- The Glory, the Groundwork, and the Grind of Travel Writing
- Finding Pizza Nirvana in Nashville
- Guest Interview: Exploring Offbeat Mexico with Churpa Rogers
- Guest Interview: The People's Guide to Mexico Authors Carl Franz and Lorena Havens
- Guest Post: Top 10 Gifts for Road Trippers
- Hawaii Giveaway Winner Announced
- Win a Round-Trip Ticket to Hawaii from Moon and Hawaiian Airlines!
- Why Moving to Belize Isn’t as Hard as You’d Think
- From Dosas to Dumplings: My Eight Favorite Toronto Restaurants
- Guest Post: At Least We Have Pizza – The Cost of Living in Mexico vs. New York City
- Hawai'i: A Foodie Paradise — Part Two
- Hawai'i: A Foodie Paradise — Part One
- Exploring California via Road Trip with Moon California Road Trip
- Enjoying the Outdoors in the Black Hills of South Dakota
Our Absolute Favorite Covers (For Now)
When I asked the office staff last Friday to name their favorite Moon guidebook cover, someone immediately retorted, "That's like asking a mom to name her favorite kid!" But that's exactly what we did—played temporary favorites among books with which we've lived and breathed, and to which we've become quite attached. Here are our top three Favorite Moon Covers*, as determined by popular vote:
2. Moon Atlantic Canada capitalizes on our apparent love of feathered friends—its popularity due in part to "those cute puffins!" Working on Moon's guidebooks is definitely a form of escapism, but the friendly puffins in this photo give us an extra dose of wanderlust. (Photo by Rolf Hicker)
3. Moon Guatemala's deep, cool blues have made it a longtime favorite around the office and holder of the third-place vote. Its talented photographer-author, Al Argueta, shot this image—more of his work can be seen here on our site and gracing the pages of his book.
With all the excellent travel photos floating around here, it wouldn't be right not to mention a few more faves. High regard for Moon Living Abroad in Canada, Moon Panama, Moon Scotland, and Moon Yosemite resulted in a four-way tie for runner-up among these guidebooks (all pictured below).
What about you—got a favorite guidebook cover? Take a look at our Books page or a turn through the Browse Books carousel up top and tell us your favorite in the comments. I'm looking forward to it!
Marketing Services Manager
*As of 4/10/2009