Moon Staff Blog
About this blog
The Moon Water Cooler is a place for Moon staffers to share what's new in their world. Check back often to hear about author events, book releases, travel trends, and maybe even some staff recommendations for what part of the world to explore next.
- Two Reasons This Week is Awesome: Earth Day and National Park Week
- The Glory, the Groundwork, and the Grind of Travel Writing
- Finding Pizza Nirvana in Nashville
- Guest Interview: Exploring Offbeat Mexico with Churpa Rogers
- Guest Interview: The People's Guide to Mexico Authors Carl Franz and Lorena Havens
- Guest Post: Top 10 Gifts for Road Trippers
- Hawaii Giveaway Winner Announced
- Win a Round-Trip Ticket to Hawaii from Moon and Hawaiian Airlines!
- Why Moving to Belize Isn’t as Hard as You’d Think
- From Dosas to Dumplings: My Eight Favorite Toronto Restaurants
- Guest Post: At Least We Have Pizza – The Cost of Living in Mexico vs. New York City
- Hawai'i: A Foodie Paradise — Part Two
- Hawai'i: A Foodie Paradise — Part One
- Exploring California via Road Trip with Moon California Road Trip
- Enjoying the Outdoors in the Black Hills of South Dakota
What Makes a Road Trip a Road Trip?
With the summer road tripping season starting I have a question for you.
A couple weeks ago I drove the 230 or so miles up to Humboldt County for my sister's college graduation. When I mentioned the trip to a friend she exclaimed "Road trip!" and I was thoroughly confused because for me, this was not a road trip.
Why would one person consider this a road trip and another not? Was it because I didn't stop at any of the kitschy roadside attractions like Trees of Mystery, the Drive-Thru Tree, or Confusion Hill? (Which by-the-way has some serious road construction happening just south of the entrance on Hwy. 101.) Was it because I wasn't going a distance that required multiple days of driving? Was it because I make this trip 3 - 4 times each year?
On my way home, it was quite clear from the number of RVs I saw that road trip season has definitely started. So my question to you is, what makes a road trip a road trip?
Moon.com Content Editor