Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
2012, The Beginning, Film Trailer
What I like about the trailer for 2012, The Beginning is that it includes various Maya and Central American voices in addition to the normal line-up of knowledgeable Western researchers and archaeologists. Is there something special about the year 2012? Is it a time of change?
The film features interviews with John Major Jenkins, a preeminent voice on the subject, who makes a special visit to Tortuguero Monument 6. This famous cracked slab of stone bears the only known mention of December 21, 2012 in the ancient Maya text; it resides in a museum in Villahermosa, Mexico.
From the description: "In this feature documentary, we travel the world - from Honduras to Germany, the US to Guatemala, and across the ruins of Mexico - to explore what the sacred Mayan texts really say. Is this the end of the world or a new beginning?"
They had me at "travel the world." [LINK]
RELATED: This recently released documentary, "2012: The Mayan Word" says, "Everyone is talking about the Mayan Prophecies of 2012. But who is listening to the Maya?"