Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Belize Book Giveaway and Live Chat: 3pm EST Friday
I'll be donning my @tranquilotravel twitter hat on Friday, January 5, 2012, for a live chat about traveling in Belize, one of the most interesting, richest, wildest corners of the Mundo Maya. Just throw the #VisitBelize hash tag on your questions and tweet away: Details here.
The chat is at 2 p.m. Belize time (3 p.m. EST). I'm co-hosting with Norbert Figueroa (@globotreks) and looking forward to it. (It's right after my Toastmasters meeting, so I'll try not to be late.) Two random users of the #VisitBelize hash tag will win a copy of MAYA 2012: A Guide to Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras!
In related news, I'm giving away fresh, autographed copies of both Moon Belize and MAYA 2012. To enter, write a 50-word story in the comments below. The theme: "The Best Travel Moment I Ever Had."
Your story can take place in Belize, another Mundo Maya country, or anywhere else in the world -- as long as it is no more than 50 words! On January 12, 2012, I'll use a random-number generator to select a winner from everyone who enters. Have fun and good luck.