Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Guatemala and Belize Moon Authors in the SKY!
Flying Delta this month? Bored by the in-flight entertainment? Wondering what to do on the summer solstice in Uaxactun, Guatemala this year? Then look for my feature article, "TIME TRAVEL," with Guatemala photos by Moon Guatemala author Al Argueta, in the in-flight magazine, Delta SKY.
"This December marks the end of the Maya Long Count calendar, and the region will be celebrating the equinoxes and solstices in style. But fear not, experts say the world will still be around in 2013. By Joshua Berman...."
I take the year 2012 and break it down by auspicious dates, with suggested tours and hotels for each celebration -- the article features Merida, Mexico; Uaxactun, Guatemala; Caracol, Belize; and Copan, Honduras. The article is not available online, only in your seat-back... let me know if you spot it in the wild.