Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Maya Exploration Center offers 2012 Archaeological Tours
I've had the pleasure of traveling to several archaeological sites with experts -- not just informed tour guides, but with the people doing groundbreaking research at these very sites. In 2012, a host of organizations is offering this opportunity to anyone with a few thousand dollars burning a hole in their pocket waiting for a once-in-a-lifetime travel opportunity.
One of these is the www.mayaexploration.org, a nonprofit organization based in Austin, Texas, dedicated to the study of ancient Maya civilization. MEC offers regular courses for travelers, a lecture series, and education programs for students, teachers, and the general public. They have two special trips planned for 2012. I list the details of these trips here on this page about multi-country 2012 tours. I particularly love the idea behind archaeologist Dr. Edwin Barnhart's "Surfing the Zenith in the Maya World: Zenith Passage 2012 Tour" (8 days, Aug. 5–15, 2012, $3,100 per person) in which the group actually follows the solar zenith (when the sun is exactly overhead, the date changes with latitude) from site to site.
Dr. Barnhart has also developed the best Maya calendar converter and iPhone app.