Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Maya Field Workshop in Copan, Honduras with David Stuart
Those who like to mix travel with learning have a smorgasbord of Maya-related study trips and field workshops in 2012. A few notable ones are taking place in Copan, Honduras, one of the more overlooked grand cities of the Classic Maya world. Among other attractions, Copan is home to the Great Hieroglyphic Stairway, which boasts "the longest single glyphic text known from the ancient Maya world."
Maya Field Workshops are self-described "intensive, on-site seminars devoted to introducing you to the world of Maya archaeology and epigraphy. Through daily studies in the field, seminars, and workshops, participants will learn the basics or build on a foundation of reading Maya hieroglyphic script. They will also develop an understanding of the complexities of iconography, ancient culture and relationships with surrounding ancient cities and their material environment." Not only that, but this June 3-9, 2012, MFW will be in Copan, Honduras with David Stuart, one of the top Maya studies scholars and epigraphers in the world and author of The Order of Days: The Maya World and the Truth about 2012 (Harmony Books, New York, 2011, my review here).