Buy Moon Belize
Twelfth Edition, October 2017
Price: $21.99 USD
Price: $14.99 USD
With turquoise waters, dreamlike islands, and pristine rainforests, Belize is a sensory feast: dive in with Moon Belize.
Inside you’ll find:
- Flexible, strategic itineraries for every timeline and budget, from one week of highlights to a three-week adventure through the whole country, with themed trip ideas like “The Mundo Maya,” “Wildlife Adventures,” and “Underwater Bliss”
- Curated advice for outdoor adventurers, archeology aficionados, foodies, and more
- Must-see attractions and off-beat ideas for making the most of your trip: Canoe to a farmers market to sample fresh pupusas and cashew wine. Hike rainforests filled with medicinal trees and howler monkeys, snorkel the second-largest (and best preserved) coral reef in the world, or explore ancient Mayan ceremonial caves and cool off beneath the waterfalls. Spend your day at the beach, and your night dancing barefoot in the sand to the sound of Garifuna drums
- Expert advice on when to go, what to pack, and where to stay, from Belize transplant-turned-local Lebawit Lily Girma
- Full-color photos and detailed maps for navigating the cayes and mainland on your own
- Handy phrases in Kriol, Garifuna, and Q’eqchi’ Mayan
- Detailed background information on the landscape, climate, wildlife, and culture
- Travel tips on health and safety, traveling solo as a woman, getting around with children or as a senior, and suggestions for LGBTQ+ visitors and travelers with disabilities
With Moon Belize’s expert tips, myriad activities, and local insight, you can plan your trip your way.
Lebawit Lily Girma
Born in Ethiopia, Lebawit Lily Girma was nine months old when her parents moved to the West African country of Côte d’Ivoire. She has loved travel ever since: exploring cultures and learning languages on various continents, including Europe and the Americas.
After practicing law in the U.S., Lily took a leap of faith to pursue her passions: travel, writing, and photography. After a three-week visit to Belize in 2010, she was determined to return. A year later, Lily was commissioned as an in-house writer and photographer for the Belize Tourism Board for three months. She explored Belize extensively, sharing her adventures through a collection of online articles, blogs, and photo essays. Belize’s diverse cultures and people struck a chord and she returned to Belize for long-term stays while researching freelance articles on the country.
In addition to this title, Lily is the author of Moon Belize Cayes and Moon Dominican Republic, and her writing and photography have been published by CNN Travel, BBC Travel, Delta Sky, Sunday Times Travel Magazine, MorningCalm, Every Day With Rachael Ray, The Travel Channel, and AFAR, among others. She was also a major contributing writer and senior editor for the 2016-2017 edition of Destination Belize Magazine, Belize’s main tourism publication.
In 2016, Lily was awarded the Marcia Vickery-Wallace Memorial Award for Excellence in Travel Journalism from the Caribbean Tourism Organization.
When she’s not visiting family in the U.S., Lily is based in the Dominican Republic, and travels to Belize every year.