Buy Moon California Road Trip
Second Edition, May 2015
Price: $21.99 USD
Price: $14.99 USD
See the wide-open natural beauty and glittering cities of the American West on this epic adventure. Inside Moon California Road Trip you’ll find:
- Maps and Driving Tools: 50 easy-to-use maps keep you oriented on and off the highway, along with site-to-site mileage, driving times, and detailed directions for the entire route
- Eat, Sleep, Stop and Explore: Marvel at waterfalls pouring down granite rock faces, layers of red and gold sandstone, and pale cliffs standing stark against the thundering waves of the Pacific. Explore San Francisco’s colorful character, discover the world-class culture and amusement-park fun of Los Angeles, and see the glittering towers of Las Vegas against the dark desert sky
- Itineraries for Every Traveler: Drive the entire two-week “Best of the West” or mix and match for shorter road trips like “San Francisco, Yosemite, and Los Angeles in Six Days”
- Local Expert: Local surfer and adventurer Stuart Thornton shares his thirst for the next secluded beach, quirky pit stop, and mountaintop vista
- Planning Your Trip: Know when and where to get gas, how to avoid traffic, tips for driving in different road and weather conditions, and suggestions for LGBTQ travelers, seniors, and road trippers with kids
With Moon California Road Trip‘s practical tips, detailed itineraries, and insider’s view, you’re ready to fill up the tank and hit the road.
Looking to explore more of America on wheels? Try Moon Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip! Doing more than driving through? Check out Moon California, Moon Grand Canyon, or Moon Yosemite, Sequoia & Kings Canyon.
Stuart Thornton fell in love with the California coast while working at the Big Sur Ranger Station after college. There, he advised visitors on every topic, from campsites to restaurants. On his days off, he took his own advice and regularly sought out the best spots for hiking, backpacking, surfing, and snorkeling along that striking coastal region.
Stuart later moved to nearby Monterey to become a staff writer for the Monterey County Weekly, where he is still a contributor. He is the proud author of Moon Coastal California, Moon Santa Barbara & The Central Coast, and the forthcoming Moon Monterey & Carmel. In addition, Stuart has contributed to National Geographic Education, Relix magazine, and Ed Grant’s Piers of the California Coast, a coffee table book highlighting the Golden State’s piers and wharves.
While researching and writing this book, Stuart hiked through lesser-known sections of Yosemite National Park, discovered the stunning Eastern Sierra community of June Lake, stared deep into the Grand Canyon, and enjoyed the diverse offerings of San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.
He spends his time off searching for the next secluded beach, uncrowded wave, or mountaintop vista. Learn more about his adventures and projects by visiting stuartthornton.com.