Including Easter Island
By Wayne Bernhardson
Fourth Edition, March 2013
Price: $23.99 USD
Price: $12.99 USD
Seasoned author and South America expert Wayne Bernhardson covers the best of Chile’s rich history and culture, from skiing in the boroughs of Santiago to wine-tasting in the country’s heartland. To help travelers plan for their trip, Bernhardson includes insightful and fun suggested itineraries, such as Adventure in the Andes; The Best of Santiago, Valparaíso, and Wine Country; and Wildlife Encounters. With information on climbing volcanoes in the Sur Chico, following the path of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, and exploring the remote corners of the Atacama desert, Moon Chile gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Chile
Enjoy the very best of Chile with these itineraries:
- The Best of Santiago, Valparaiso, and Wine Country
- The Ring of Fire
- Adventure in the Andes
- Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego
- Wildlife Encounters
- The Desert North
Explore what Chile has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Santiago and Vicinity
- The Chilean Heartland including Valparaiso, Casablanca Valley Wine Route, Vina del Mar and Vicinity, The Aconcagua Valley, The Southern Heartland, Talca and Vicinity, Chillan and Vicinity, Concepcion and Vicinity
- Norte Grande including Arica and Vicinity, The Altiplano of Arica, Iquique and Vicinity, Antofagasta and Vicinity, Calama and Vicinity, San Pedro de Atacama and Vicinity
- Norte Chico including La Serena and Vicinity, Vicuna and the Elqui Valley, Ovalle and the Andean Outback, Along the Rio Huasco, Copiapo, Caldera and Vicinity
- The Chilean Lakes District including Temuco, The Upper Cautin and Biobio, Parque Nacional Conguillio, Villarrica, Pucon and Vicinity, Siete Lagos, Valdivia and Vicinity, Osorno, Parque National Puyehue, Puerto Octay and Vicinity, Puerto Varas and Vicinity, Puerto Montt and Vicinity, and The Chiloe Archipelago
- Aisen and Continental Chiloe including Coyhaique, The Northern Carretera Austral, and The Southern Carratera Austral
- Magallanes and Tierra del Fuego including Punta Arenas and Vicinity, Puerto Natales and Vicinity, Parque National Torres del Paine, Chliean Tierra del Fuego, Rio Grande and Vicinity, Ushuaia and Vicinity, Parque National Tierra del Fuego
- The Chilean Pacific Islands including Easter Island ad The Juan Fernandez Archipelago
Resources include a Spanish Phrasebook
Wayne Bernhardson first traveled to Chile in 1979 during the Pinochet dictatorship, wrote his master’s thesis on llama and alpaca herding in the Norte Grande’s Parque Nacional Lauca, and has returned repeatedly to broaden and deepen his knowledge and appreciation of the country. He has driven well over 100,000 kilometers through every Chilean region and Pacific island possession, and he has also visited Chile’s Antarctic bases in the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula.
Wayne earned his PhD in geography at the University of California, Berkeley, but abandoned academia for a perpetual Latin American road trip that many university faculty envy. He is also the author of Moon Handbooks to Argentina, Buenos Aires, and Patagonia. In addition, Wayne has written for magazines and newspapers including Trips, the San Francisco Chronicle, the American Geographical Society’s Focus, Business Traveler, Dupont Registry Tampa Bay, Postcards, National Geographic Traveler, Latin Trade, and Travel Holiday. He often gives slide lectures on destinations he covers in his books.
When not in South America (he owns an apartment in Buenos Aires), Wayne resides in Oakland, California, with his wife María Laura Massolo, their daughter Clio Bernhardson-Massolo, and their Alaskan malamute, Malbec (named for Argentina’s signature red wine). He can be reached directly by email at email@example.com or through southernconetravel.com.