Moon Coastal California
By Stuart Thornton
Fifth Edition, July 2016
Price: $21.99 USD
Price: $16.99 USD
Travel writer and longtime California resident Stuart Thornton covers the best of Coastal California, from hiking through redwoods in Big Sur to surfing the waves at Black’s Beach in San Diego. Thornton is the perfect tour guide, offering unique trip ideas for a wide variety of travelers, including Pacific Coast Road Trip and Romantic Getaways. Packed with Thornton’s expert advice on everything from choosing the best beaches to whale-watching to planning a fun side trip to Disneyland, Moon Coastal California gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Coastal California
Enjoy the very best of Coastal California with these itineraries:
- Pacific Coast Road Trip
- Call of the Wild
- Catch of the Day
- Best Beaches
- Surf and Turf
- Dog Days
- Romantic Getaways
Explore what Coastal California has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- San Francisco and the Bay Area including Marin County, East Bay, San Jose, and Coastside
- Wine Country including Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, and Russian River Valley
- North Coast including Sonoma Coast, Mendocino Coast, Mendocino Wine Country, The Redwood Coast, The Lost Coast, Eureka and Vicinity, Arcata, Trinidad and Vicinity, Redwood National and State Parks, and Crescent City
- Monterey Bay including Santa Cruz, Moss Landing, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Carmel-by-the-Sea, and Carmel Valley
- Big Sur and the Central Coast including Big Sur, Cambria and Vicinity, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, and Pismo Beach
- Santa Barbara and Ventura including The Gaviota Coast and Channel Islands National Park
- Los Angeles and Orange County including Disneyland Resort, South Bay, Catalina Island, and Orange County Coast
- San Diego
Stuart Thornton fell in love with California while working at the Big Sur Ranger Station after college. At work, he provided visitors with all sorts of information about the region, from the best places to camp to the best meal in the area. On his days off, he took his own advice and regularly sought out the top spots for hiking, backpacking, surfing, and snorkeling along that striking coastal region.
Stuart later moved to nearby Monterey to become a staff writer for the Monterey County Weekly, where he is still a contributor. He is the proud author of Moon Coastal California, Moon Santa Barbara & The Central Coast, Moon Spotlight Cambria & San Simeon, and Moon California Road Trip. In addition, Stuart has contributed to National Geographic Education, Relix Magazine, and Paste Magazine.
Stuart spends his time off searching for the next secluded beach, uncrowded wave, or mountain top vista.