Moon Costa Rica
By Christopher P. Baker
Ninth Edition, December 2013
Price: $21.99 USD
Award-winning travel writer Christopher P. Baker shows travelers the way to the best of Costa Rica—whether it’s surfing the beaches of Golfo Dulce, hiking in Corcovado National Park, or dining in the upscale Escazu barrio in San José. Along with his in-depth coverage, Baker includes unique trip ideas for a variety of interests, such as Sweet Retreats, Best Beaches, and Adrenaline Rush. Complete with details that range from where to surf to which spots are the best for seeing wildlife, Moon Costa Rica gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Costa Rica
Enjoy the very best of Costa Rica with these itineraries:
- Best of Costa Rica
- Best Beaches
- Sweet Retreats
- Top Wildlife Spots
- Family Fun
- Surf’s Up
- Adrenaline Rush
Explore what Costa Rica has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- San Jose
- The Central Highlands including Escazu and Vicinity, Cariari to La Guacima, Alajuela and Vicinity, Grecia to Zarcero, La Garita to San Ramon, Heredia and Vicinity, Braulio Carrillo National Park and Vicinity, Cartago and Vicinity, Ruta de Los Santos, Turrialba and Vicinity
- The Caribbean Coast including Highway 32 to Puerto Limon, Puerto Limon and Vicinity, Tortuguero, Barra del Colorado, Cahuita and Vicinity, Manzanillo and Vicinity, and Rio Sixaola Region
- The Northern Zone including Ciudad Quesada and Vicinity, La Fortuna to Tabacon, Arenal Volcano and Vicinity, Laguna de Arenal, Los Chiles and Vicinity, Highway 4 to Upala, Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui and Vicinity
- Guanacaste and the Northwest including The Southern Plains, Monteverde and Santa Elena, Tilaran and Vicinity, Canas and Vicinity, Liberia and Vicinity, The Far North
- The Nicoya Peninsula including Highway 2 to Santa Cruz, Playas del Coco and Vicinity, Playa Flamingo and Vicinity, South to Junguillal, Playa Lagarto to Ostional, Nosara and Vicinity, Playa Samara to Carrillo, Playa Camaronal to Playa Mananillo, and Southern Nicoya
- Central Pacific including Orotina to Playa Herradura, Jaco and Vicinity, Quepos and Manuel Antonio, Savegre to Dominical, and Costa Ballena
- Golfo Dulce and the Osa Peninsula including Valle de Diquis, Osa Peninsula, Golfito and Golfo Dulce, The Burica Peninsula, Ciudad Neily and Vicinity
- South-Central Costa Rica including Calle de El General, Chirripo and Vicinity, La Amistad International Park and Vicinity
Resources include a Spanish Phrasebook
Christopher P. Baker was born and raised in Yorkshire, England. He received a B.A. in geography from University College, London, and masters degrees in Latin American studies from Liverpool University and in education from the Institute of Education, London University.
He began his writing career in 1978 as contributing editor on Latin America for Land & Liberty, a London-based political journal. In 1980 he received a Scripps-Howard Foundation Scholarship in Journalism to attend the University of California, Berkeley.
Since 1983, Christopher has made his living as a professional travel writer, photographer, speaker, and international tour guide. He is acclaimed for his specialist knowledge of Cuba and Costa Rica, about which he has written 10 books, and created the Costa Rica ¡Pura Vida! travel app. His many books include Moon Cuba and Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro’s Cuba, winner of both the 2002 Lowell Thomas Award for Best Travel Book and the North American Travel Journalist Association’s Grand Prize. He has contributed to more than 150 publications worldwide, including Caribbean Travel & Life, Maxim, National Geographic Traveler, The Robb Report, and the Los Angeles Times.
Christopher has been profiled in USA Today; appears frequently on radio and television talk shows and as a guest-lecturer aboard cruise ships; and has been privileged to address such organizations as the National Press Club, the World Affairs Council, and the National Geographic Society (on the televised show Live from National Geographic). He is a National Geographic Resident Expert and escorts cruise-tours of Costa Rica and Panama for National Geographic Expeditions and Smithsonian Journeys.
His many awards include the prestigious 2008 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year, from the Society of American Travel Writers, and Travel Journalist of the Year from the Caribbean Tourism Organization and the Jamaica Tourist Board.