Moon Croatia and Slovenia
By Shann Fountain Culo
First Edition, June 2009
Price: $19.95 USD
Travel writer and Croatian local Shann Fountain Culo shares her love of the locale from the wooden village houses, folk festivals, and wineries of Croatia to the rafting, skiing, and cave-exploring opportunities that abound in Slovenia. Shann includes unique itineraries such as the 14-Day Best of Croatia and Slovenia, A Culinary Tour of Istria and Dalmatia, and Sailing the Croatian Islands. Moon Croatia & Slovenia is packed with information on the best dining, transportation, and accommodations. Complete with expert advice on when to explore the city sans-tourists, participate in the grape harvest season or ski in the Julian Alps, Moon Croatia & Slovenia gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Croatia & Slovenia
Enjoy the very best of Croatia & Slovenia with these itineraries:
- The 14-Day Best of Croatia and Slovenia
- Pick Your Paradise: The Southern Dalmatian Islands
- Movable Feast: A Culinary Tour of Istria and Kvarner
- Vines and Wines
- Village Life
- Kid-Friendly Croatia and Slovenia
- Sailing the Croatian Islands
Explore what Croatia & Slovenia has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Zagreb and Vicinity
- Dubrovnik and Vicinity
- Ljubljana and Vicinity
- Coastal Slovenia and The Karst Region
- Inland Croatia including Zagorje, Medimurje, Salvonia, and the Karlovac Region
- Istria including Labin, Pula, Brijuni Islands, Rovinj, Porec, and the Istrian Interior
- Kvarner Gulf including Rijeka, Opatija Riviera, and the Kvarner Islands
- Northern Dalmatia including Zadar, Islands Around Zadar, Paklenica National Park, Plitvice Lakes National Park, Murter and the Kornati Islands, Sibenik, Primosten, and Trogir
- Southern Dalmatia including Split, Omis, Makarska Riviera, and the Southern Dalmatian Islands
- Inland Slovenia including Pohorje Region, Pomurje Region, Savinjska Valley, Savinjske Alps Region, Dolenjska and Bela Krajina, and Julian Alps
Resources include Croatian and Slovenian Phrasebooks
Born in South Carolina, Shann Fountain Culo has been traveling all of her life. She studied abroad in both Spain and Germany and has visited 26 countries—many of them before age 21. She speaks Spanish, Croatian, and rapidly declining French.
After graduating from Sweet Briar College, Shann owned a multilingual staffing company, tried her hand at corporate gifts, and taught Spanish (with occasional travel sabbaticals in between) before becoming a writer. Now a full-time freelance writer, she is a frequent contributor to Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler, and her articles have also appeared in Hemispheres, Four Seasons Hotels Magazine, and several other publications.
Shann began visiting Eastern Europe in 1992, immediately falling in love with Croatia—and a tall Croatian as well. She made 16 Croatia trips in all, many of them for months at a time, until finally moving there in 2004. She lives in Zagreb, Croatia, with her husband (the tall Croatian) and their two young children. Writing this book, she fell in love with the region all over again, and became a wine connoisseur and an expert in traveling with kids. She enjoyed getting to know Slovenia in more detail and making several new friends along the way. Shann spends her time writing, gardening, hiking, drinking coffee, and standing in line. That’s Rule #4 of living in Croatia: Get used to bureaucracy.