Moon Croatia and Slovenia
By Shann Fountain Alipour
Second Edition, May 2016
Price: $21.99 USD
Travel writer and former Zagreb resident Shann Fountain Alipour shares her love of two beautiful countries, from the wooden village houses, folk festivals, and wineries to the rafting, skiing, and cave-exploring opportunities that abound in Slovenia. Shann includes unique itineraries such as “The 14-Day Best of Croatia and Slovenia,” “A Culinary Tour of Istria and Dalmatia,” and “Sailing the Croatian Islands.” Moon Croatia & Slovenia is packed with information on the best dining, transportation, and accommodations. Complete with expert advice on when to explore the city while avoiding throngs of tourists, participate in the grape harvest season, and ski in the Julian Alps, Moon Croatia & Slovenia gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Croatia & Slovenia
Enjoy the very best of Croatia & Slovenia with these itineraries:
- The 14-Day Best of Croatia and Slovenia
- Pick Your Paradise: The Southern Dalmatian Islands
- Movable Feast: A Culinary Tour of Istria and Kvarner
- Vines and Wines
- Village Life
- Kid-Friendly Croatia and Slovenia
- Sailing the Croatian Islands
Explore what Croatia & Slovenia has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Zagreb and Vicinity
- Dubrovnik and Vicinity
- Ljubljana and Vicinity
- Coastal Slovenia and The Karst Region
- Inland Croatia including Zagorje, Medimurje, Salvonia, and the Karlovac Region
- Istria including Labin, Pula, Brijuni Islands, Rovinj, Porec, and the Istrian Interior
- Kvarner Gulf including Rijeka, Opatija Riviera, and the Kvarner Islands
- Northern Dalmatia including Zadar, Islands Around Zadar, Paklenica National Park, Plitvice Lakes National Park, Murter and the Kornati Islands, Sibenik, Primosten, and Trogir
- Southern Dalmatia including Split, Omis, Makarska Riviera, and the Southern Dalmatian Islands
- Inland Slovenia including Pohorje Region, Pomurje Region, Savinjska Valley, Savinjske Alps Region, Dolenjska and Bela Krajina, and Julian Alps
Resources include Croatian and Slovenian Phrasebooks
Born in South Carolina, Shann Fountain Alipour has been traveling all of her life. She studied abroad in both Spain and Germany and has visited 26 countries—many of them before age 21. She speaks Spanish, Croatian, and rapidly declining French.
After graduating from Sweet Briar College, Shann owned a multilingual staffing company, tried her hand at corporate gifts, and taught Spanish (with occasional travel sabbaticals in between) before becoming a writer. Now a full-time freelance writer, she is a frequent contributor to Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler, and her articles have also appeared in Hemispheres, Four Seasons Hotels Magazine, and several other publications.
Shann began visiting Eastern Europe in 1992, immediately falling in love with Croatia. She traveled to the region 16 times before moving there in 2004. She lived in Zagreb until 2010 but continues to visit regularly, especially in the summers. She loves discovering the wine regions of Croatia and Slovenia, being at any island on Croatia’s coast, eating Istrian truffle cheese, and spending time with local friends, both old and new. She moved to San Francisco in 2010 and lives with her husband and children who are also travel aficionados.