Moon Honolulu & O’ahu
By Kevin Whitton
Eighth Edition, September 2016
Price: $17.99 USD
Make Your Escape!
Caught in the ideal balance between lively metropolis and serene shores, Oʻahu is the heartbeat of the Hawaiian Islands. See the soul of Hawaii with Moon Honolulu & O’ahu, the travel guide preferred by locals.
What You’ll Find in Moon Honolulu & Oʻahu:
- Expert, local author Kevin Whitton provides an adventurer’s perspective on his beloved island home
- Full-color guides with vibrant, helpful photos, all in an easy-to-navigate format
- Detailed directions and over 20 maps for exploring on your own
- Oʻahu travel itineraries for every trip and budget with options for rainy days, including:
- Oʻahu in Seven Days
- Best Beaches
- Family Fun
- Best Snorkeling and Diving
- Hit the Trail
- Best Surfing
- Historical Sites
- Hotspots for Honeymooners
- In-depth coverage for Waikiki, Honolulu, the North Shore, Hanauma Bay and Southeast, Kailua and Windward, and Ko Olina and Leeward
Honest advice on finding the best accommodations, accessible transportation, and experiencing the real Oʻahu
- Activities and ideas for every traveler: spot sea turtles as your snorkel the coral reefs, or go whale-watching. Hike, bike, or do yoga on the beach before unwinding at a spa, golfing, or hitting a tennis court. Attend a traditional luau and sample Polynesian cuisine, or visit historic landmarks like Pearl Harbor
- Accurate information, researched by a local, including background on the landscape, plants and animals, history, and culture
- Handy tools such as detailed lodging information and suggestions on LGBT+ travel and eco-tourism, all in a book light enough for your beach bag
With Moon Honolulu & Oʻahu’s practical tips, myriad activities, and local insight on the best things to do and see, you can plan your trip your way.
Interested in island hopping? Check out Moon Big Island of Hawaiʻi, Moon Kauaʻi, and Moon Maui. Visiting all the Islands? Check out Moon Hawaiian Islands.
Avid surfer and nature-lover Kevin Whitton has traveled extensively throughout Mexico, Indonesia, and Australia. He’s volunteered as a trail guide in a private Costa Rican rain forest preserve and as a snowmobile guide in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains. When confronted with the choice between living in the mountains and visiting the beach, or living at the beach and visiting the mountains, Kevin refused to choose, deciding to call O‘ahu home instead. Now when he waits for a wave at one of his favorite windward or North Shore surf breaks, he can gaze at the verdant mountains and revel in the best of both worlds.
Kevin is the author of the award-winning Green Hawai‘i: A Guide to a Sustainable and Energy Efficient Home and A Pocket Guide to Hawai‘i’s Botanical Gardens. He writes for Hawai‘i’s most notable regional publications, is active in the islands’ surf media, and is the co-founder and editor of GREEN: Hawai‘i’s Sustainable Living Magazine.