By Laura Martone
Fourth Edition, June 2011
Price: $19.99 USD
Price: $9.99 USD
World traveler Laura Martone spends summers with her family on Michigan’s Big Bear Lake, and she shares her favorite Michigan experiences, from indulging at the National Cherry Festival in Traverse City to exploring Detroit’s rhythmic roots and auto museums. Martone provides itineraries for trekking through the Upper Peninsula, touring lighthouses on the Great Lake shoreline, and splurging on a luxury B&B on the popular Mackinac Island. Moon Michigan is packed with information on dining, transportation, and accommodations. Complete with details on where to ice fish, taste-test local fudge and go golfing in the Lower Peninsula, Moon Michigan gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Michigan
Enjoy the very best of Michigan with these itineraries:
- The Best of Michigan
- Music and Motor Cars
- The Upper Peninsula’s Nautical Past
- Historic Lighthouses
- Sun, Sand, and Serenity
- A Taste of Wine Country
- A Romantic Weekend on Mackinac Island
- Top 10 Gold Courses
Explore what Michigan has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Detroit and Southeast Michigan including Windsor, Ontario, The Suburbs, and Southeast Michigan
- The Thumb including Flint and Vicinity, Frankenmuth, Saginaw, Bay City, Sebewaing to Port Austin, Bad Axe and Interior, Grindstone City to Lakeport, and Port Huron
- Ann Arbor and the Heartland including Ann Arbor and Vicinity, Jackson and Vicinity, Marshall, Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Vicinity, Grand Rapids, Lansing and East Lansing, Mount Pleasant, and Midland
- The Southwest Coast including Harbor Country, St. Joseph and Benton Harbo, South Haven, Saugatuck and Douglas, Holland, Grand Haven, Muckegon and Vicinity
- Traverse City and Northwest Michigan including Traverse City and Vicinity, The Leelanau Peninsula, Manistee to Cadillac, Charlevoix and Vicinity, Petoskey and Vicinity
- Mackinac Island and Northeast Michigan including Mackinaw City, Mackinac Island, Cheboygan and Vicinity, Rogers City to Alpena, Oscoda to West Branch, Grayling Area, and Gaylord Area
- The Eastern Upper Peninsula including St. Ignace and Vicinity, Manstique Area, Munising Area, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Lake Superior Shore, Sault Ste. Marie and Vicinity
- The Western Upper Peninsula including Isle Royale National Park, The Keweenaw Peninsula, Ontonagon to Ironwood, Iron River to Iron Mountain, Menominee to Escanaba, Marquette and Vicinity
A native of New Orleans, Laura Martone has been an avid traveler since childhood. Growing up, she and her mother would often take long road trips to fascinating U.S. landmarks, such as the Rocky Mountains and Monticello. After graduating from Northwestern University in 1998 with a dual degree in English and Radio/TV/Film, Laura continued to explore America with her husband, Daniel. Equally fond of cultural and natural wonders, she has a particular affinity for the state of Michigan, where she spends her summers.
Laura first traveled to the Great Lakes State in 2000 to visit her husband’s family, and has experienced a lot of this incredibly diverse locale ever since. Over the years, she’s searched for Petoskey stones along the shores of Lake Superior, picked wild blueberries in the woods of the Lower Peninsula, toured an active GM truck plant in the Flint area, and attended the National Cherry Festival in Traverse City—and she’s not done yet.
When not in Michigan, Laura divides her time between New Orleans and Los Angeles, where she operates two film festivals with her husband. She’s contributed articles to MotorHome, Route 66 Magazine, RV Journal, and The Ecotourism Observer. In addition, she’s written and edited several other guidebooks, including Moon Baja RV Camping.