Moon New Zealand
By Andrew Hempstead
Eighth Edition, October 2012
Price: $19.99 USD
Price: $9.99 USD
Andrew Hempstead knows the best way to experience New Zealand, from kayaking through the Bay of Island to skiing in the Southern Alps. In this information-packed guide, Hempstead provides a variety of trip ideas to help travelers organize their itineraries, including Maori Culture and History and Tramping Through New Zealand. Complete with details on enjoying the land with children, fine-dining in Auckland, and rafting near Queenstown, Moon New Zealand gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon New Zealand
Enjoy the very best of New Zealand with these itineraries:
- The Best of the North Island
- The Best of the South Island
- New Zealand in One Week
- A Gourmet’s Paradise
- A Weekend in Auckland
Explore what New Zealand has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- The North Island
- The South Island
- Auckland including Hauraki Gulf Maritime Park
- Northland including Auckland to Whangarei, Whangarei and Vicinity, Bay of Islands, Kaitaia to Cape Reinga, and Kaitaia to Auckland via the West Coast
- Waikato, Coromandel, and the Bay of Plenty including Hamilton and the Waikato, Coromandel Peninsula, Bay of Plenty, and Tauranga to the East Cape
- Geothermal Heartland including Rotorua and Vicinity, Taupo and Vicinity, Turangi and Vicinity, and Tongariro National Park
- Eastland and Hawke’s Bay including Te Urewera National Park, East Cape, Gisborne, Napier and Vicinity
- Taranaki and the West including New Plymouth, Egmont National Park, New Plymouth to Wanganui, Wanganui, and Whanganui River
- Wellington and the Lower North Island including Wellington, Palmerston North, Wairarapa, and Kapiti Coast
- Malborough and the Northwest including Picton, Malborough Sounds, Picton to Christchurch, Nelson, Abel Tasman National Park, Golden Bay, Nelson Lakes National Park
- West Coast including Westport and Vicinity, Greymouth, Hokitika and Vicinity, Westland Tai Poutini National Park, Haast Pass to Wanaka
- Christchurch and Canterbury including Christchurch, Banks Peninsula, Arthur’s Pass National Park, Christchurch to Aoraki/Mount Cook, and Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park
- Otago including North Otago, Dunedin and Vicinity, Queenstown and Vicinity, Wanaka and Vicinity
- Southland including Fiordland National Park and Vicinity, te Anau to Invercargill, Invercargill and Vicinity, and Stewart Island
Australian Andrew Hempstead might be cheering for the Aussies when it comes to cricket and rugby, but he has developed a deep appreciation for New Zealand and its people during ten trips to and around the country.
Since the early 1990s, Andrew has authored and updated more than 60 guidebooks, contributed to dozens of major magazines, supplied content for online clients, such as Expedia and KLM, and been employed as a corporate writer for Parks Canada. His photography has appeared in a wide variety of media ranging from international golf magazines to a Ripley’s Believe it or Not! Museum. Andrew is an academy member of S. Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants; he has spoken on guidebook writing to a national audience; and he has contributed to a university-level travel writing textbook.
Andrew and his wife Dianne own Summerthought Publishing, a regional publisher of nonfiction books. He and his family live in Banff, Alberta.