Price: $21.99 USD
Outdoors enthusiasts and Portland residents Judy Jewell and W. C. McRae offer unique insight into Oregon’s many offerings, from its lush forests and deep river canyons to its award-winning wines and friendly cities. Jewell and McRae include unique trip strategies that connect with travelers’ specific interests, such Best Bike Rides, The Wine Route, and As Seen in Portlandia. With information on browsing through the Sisters Farmers’ Market, attending Ashland’s famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and kite-boarding near Hood River, Moon Oregon gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Oregon
Enjoy the very best of Oregon with these itineraries:
- The Best of Oregon
- Best Bike Rides
- The Wine Route
- Touring the Taps
- Oregon for the Birds
- Central Oregon Tour
- As Seen in Portlandia
- The Oregon Outback
- Top Tents and Trails
- Keeping the Dry Side Up
Explore what Oregon has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood including Historic Columbia River Highway (U.S. 30), Cascade Locks, Hood River, and The Dalles
- The Willamette Valley including North Willamette Valley Wine Country, Northeastern Willamette Valley, Salem and Vicinity, Corvallis, Eugene, The McKenzie River Highway, and Oakridge and the Upper Willamette River
- North Coast including Astoria and Vicinity, Seaside and Gearhart, Cannon Beach and Vicinity, Nehalem Bay Area, Tillamook Bay, Three Capes Scenic Loop, Neskowin and Cascade Head
- Central Coast including Lincoln City, Depoe Bay, Newport, Waldport and Vicinity, Yachats and Cape Perpetua, Florence and Vicinity, Reedsport and Winchester Bay
- South Coast including Charleston, Coos Bay, North Bend, Bandon and Vicinity, Port Orford and Vicinity, Gold Beach and Vicinity, and Brookings-Harbor and Vicinity
- Southern Oregon including Ashland, Medford, Jacksonville, Grants Pass, Roseburg, The North Umpqua River, Crater Lake, and Klamath Falls
- Central Oregon including Bend, Sunriver and Vicinity, Cascade Lakes Highway, Willamette Pass and Vicinity, Sisters, Remond, Prineville, Warm Springs and Lower Deschutes River
- Northeastern Oregon including John Day Fossil Beds and Vicinity, Pendleton, La Grande and Vicinity, The Wallowas, Hells Canyon, Baker City, Sumpter and Vicinity, and Ontario
- Southeastern Oregon including Lake County and Steens Mountain Country
Between the two of them, Judy Jewell and Bill McRae have lived in and traveled around Oregon for more than 50 years. During this time, they’ve also strayed out of state to research and write Moon Handbooks to Montana, Utah, and southern Utah’s national parks (like Zion and Bryce).
Asked to revise and update Moon Oregon, Bill admitted that he’d been dying for an excuse to go to the John Day Fossil Beds. And Judy reckoned that it was high time for her to revisit Brookings, where she’d worked for the Forest Service back in the early 1980s. The list of favorite destinations began to tumble out of their mouths: The Wallowas! Frenchglen! The Crooked River! Sign us on, they said…we’re ready to hit the road!
Judy graduated from Reed College and worked at Portland’s renowned Powell’s Books for 14 years as a book buyer and manager, until she decided to leave to write travel books. When she’s not traveling around the West, she now works as a technical and scientific editor and a yoga teacher.
Bill has written for Frommer’s, Lonely Planet, and Mobil Guides, and has provided content for 1000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. He has also edited books for National Geographic and provided content for websites like GORP and Expedia.
Judy and Bill both live in Portland, Oregon.