Including the Falkland Islands
By Wayne Bernhardson
Fourth Edition, January 2015
Price: $21.99 USD
Travel writer Wayne Bernhardson covers the best sights and adventures that Patagonia has to offer, from viewing the jagged peaks of Cuernos del Paine and hiking on Argentina’s Moreno Glacier to visiting Ushuaia, the world’s southernmost city. Bernhardson also offers various trip strategies, including The Andean Lakes Loop and The Natural History Tour. Including details on exploring the penguin-dotted Falkland Islands, staying in guest ranches in the Patagonian outback, and whale watching at the World Heritage Site of Península Valdés, Moon Patagonia gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Patagonia
Enjoy the very best of Patagonia with these itineraries:
- Defining Patagonia
- The Best of Patagonia
- Wildlife Encounters
- Explore the Natural World
- Glacier Glazing
- Classic Patagonia Road Trips
Explore what Patagonia has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Buenos Aires
- Santiago de Chile
- Northern Argentine Patagonia including Coastal Rio Negro Province, The Argentine Lakes District, and Interior Chubut Province
- The Chilean Lakes District including Temuco, the Upper Cautín and BioBío, Parque Nacional Conguillío, Villarrica, Pucón and Vicinity, Osorno, Parque Nacional Puyehue, Puerto Octay and Vicinity, Puerto Varas and Vicinity, Puerto Montt and Vicinity, and the Chiloé Archipelago
- Aisen and Continental Chiloe including Coyhaique, The Northern Carretera Austral, and The Southern Carretera Austral
- Southern Argentine Patagonia including Coastal Chubut Province, Coastal Santa Cruz Province, Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, and Northwestern Santa Cruz Province
- Magallanes including Punta Arenas and Vicinity, Puerto Natales and Vicinity, Parque Nacional Torres del Paine (Chile), and Chilean Tierra del Fuego
- Argentine Tierra del Fuego including Ushuaia and Vicinity, Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego, and Río Grande and Vicinity
- The Falkland Islands including Stanley and Vicinity, East Falkland, and West Falkland
Resources include a Spanish Phrasebook
Wayne Bernhardson first traveled to Patagonia in 1979, visiting both Chile and Argentina as far as Tierra del Fuego, “the uttermost part of the earth,” and has returned to the region almost every year since 1990. He also spent a year walking, sailing, and flying around the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) and had the pleasure of revisiting them to research this book. He owns an apartment in Buenos Aires, near the Palermo botanical gardens, and spends four to five months in the “Southern Cone” countries every year.
Wayne earned his PhD in geography at the University of California, Berkeley, but abandoned academia for a perpetual Latin American road trip that many university faculty envy. He is the author of Moon Handbooks to Argentina, Chile, and Buenos Aires, and has written for magazines and newspapers including Trips, the San Francisco Chronicle, the American Geographical Society’s Focus, Business Traveler, Dupont Registry Tampa Bay, Postcards, National Geographic Traveler, Latin Trade, and Travel Holiday. He often gives slide lectures on destinations he covers in his books.
When not in South America, Wayne resides in Oakland, California, with his wife, María Laura Massolo; their daughter, Clio Bernhardson-Massolo; and their Alaskan malamute, Malbec (named for Argentina’s signature red wine).