Buy Moon Victoria & Vancouver Island
First Edition, May 2014
Price: $14.99 USD
Discover the rugged and the cosmopolitan with Moon Victoria & Vancouver Island.
- Strategic Itineraries in an easy-to-navigate format, such as “The Best of Vancouver Island,” “Family Camping Trip,” and “First Nations Highlights”
- Curated advice from local writer Andrew Hempstead who shares his beloved island with you
- Full-color with vibrant, helpful photos
- Detailed maps and directions for exploring on your own
- Activities and ideas for every traveler: complete one of the world’s great coastal hikes, or try your hand at stand-up paddleboarding through protected fjords. Surf the rugged coast, or experience the thrill of hooking a giant salmon. Taste fresh seafood in downtown Victoria and admire the city’s timeless architecture. Spend the day in the colorful Butchart Gardens, or learn about the region’s natural history at the Royal BC Museum
- In-depth coverage of Victoria, Sidney, Southern Gulf Islands, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Ucluelet, Pacific Rim National Park, Tofino, Oceanside, the Comox Valley, the Campbell River, Port McNeill, Port Hardy and the Far North, and more
- Background information on the landscape, culture, and neighborhood history
- Essential insight for travelers on recreation, transportation, and accommodations, packaged in a book slim enough to fit in your daypack
With Moon Victoria & Vancouver Island‘s practical tips, myriad activities, and an insider’s view on the best things to do and see, you can plan your trip your way.
Kayaking around Bowen Island, enjoying a powder day at Whistler Blackcomb, chowing down on pancakes at the Elbow Room, joining the mid-day crowd at Butchart Gardens, and surfing on the west coast — Andrew Hempstead has done all of this and more. He’s out there not because it’s part of compiling a guidebook, but because he loves Vancouver and Victoria. These diverse experiences, coupled with a deep respect for nature and an interest in local history, have been essential in his creation of Moon Victoria & Vancouver Island.
Andrew spends as much time as possible out on the road, and rather than having an itinerary laid out for him by local tourism offices, he travels incognito so he can experience the many and varied delights of Vancouver and Victoria the same way his readers do.
Since the early 1990s, Andrew has authored and updated over 60 guidebooks, contributed to dozens of major magazines, supplied content for online clients like Expedia and KLM, and been employed as a corporate writer for Parks Canada. His photography has appeared in a wide variety of media ranging from international golf magazines to a Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum. Andrew has spoken on guidebook writing to national audiences, and he has contributed to a university-level travel writing textbook.
Andrew and his wife Dianne own Summerthought Publishing, a regional publisher of nonfiction books. He and his family live in Banff, Alberta.