By Thomas Huhti
Fifth Edition, April 2011
Price: $19.99 USD
Price: $9.99 USD
Born and bred Cheesehead Thomas Huhti offers an insider’s view of Wisconsin, from the bars and pubs of Madison to the beaches and water parks of the Wisconsin Dells. Huhti is a perfect tour guide, providing unique trip ideas such as Wisconsin Outdoors Adventure and the Frank Lloyd Wright Tour. Packed with information on dining, transportation, and accommodations, this handbook has lots of options for a range of travel budgets. With advice on dining in Milwaukee and exploring the scenic lakeside towns of Door County, Moon Wisconsin gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Wisconsin
Enjoy the very best of Wisconsin with these itineraries:
- The Best of Wisconsin: Weekend Trips
- Rustic Road Tripping
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Following Frank Lloyd Wright
- A Breath of Fresh Air
- Geology Rocks
- Are We There Yet? A Family Road Trip
Explore what Wisconsin has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Milwaukee and Vicinity
- From the Windy City: Southeastern Wisconsin including Kenosha, Racine, From Milwaukee to Madison, Janesville, Beloit, Lake Geneva and Environs
- Door County including Sturgeon Bay, Lakeside, Bayside, Washington Island and Rock Island
- Gateway to Door County: East-Central Waters including Sheboygan and Vicinity, Manitowoc and Two Rivers, Green Bay, The Bottom of the Door, Appleton and Vicinity, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, West of Winnebago, and The Wolf River Region
- Wood and Waters: Northeastern Wisconsin including Green Bay to Marinette, Marinette and Vicinity, Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest: Nicolet Side, The Lakes District: Northeast and The Iron Range
- Indianhead Country: Northwestern Wisconsin including Eau Claire and Vicinity, Black River State Forest and Environs, Northwestern Lakes, Superior, The Lake Superior Coast, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest: Chequamegon Side, and Hayward-Cable
- Great River Road including Prescott to La Crosse, La Crosse and Vicinity
- The Driftless Region: Southwestern Wisconsin including Along the Wisconsin River, The Old Military Road, The Lead Zone, Swiss Valley, Cranberry Country, and Coulee Range
- Central Wisconsin Sands including Wisconsin Dells and Vicinity, Wisconsin Rapids, Stevens Point, Marshfield, and Wausau
Thomas Huhti is a native Cheesehead who wound up studying in China during university—itchy feet and wanderlust have been a familial curse—which ultimately led to a five-year stint traveling the globe and living out of a backpack. A fortuitous meeting with a travel scribe on a Chinese mountain opened the then-young punk’s eyes quite wide to the possibilities of combining travel and writing—his two loves—as a career.
Half a decade wandering the world made him long for (and intrigued by) his birthplace, about which, sadly, he realized he knew precious little. Ultimately, he discovered he bled Badger red and understood where home was.
Moon took him on, and thus began a four-year pilgrimage around the state to research the first edition of Moon Wisconsin—done as a gift to his parents, worthy Badgers both.
Now it’s a fascinating blast for Thomas just to get deeper and deeper into the place, a lifelong labor of love (at least outside of deadline crunch times). With his navigator-partner, Yuki, and his bigheaded yellow lab, Bobo, fighting over who gets to ride shotgun, the tent drying in the back of the car, and a Brewers game on the radio, Thomas can be found looking for yet another lake for the pooch to splash in while he unloads his camera gear and notebook.