Alberta Legislature Building
Home of the provincial government, this elegant Edwardian building overlooking the North Saskatchewan River Valley is surrounded by 24 hectares (59 acres) of formal gardens and manicured lawns. It officially opened in 1912 and, for many years, stood beside the original Fort Edmonton.
Its 16-story vaulted dome is one of Edmonton’s most recognizable landmarks. The interior features a wide marble staircase that leads from the spacious rotunda in the lobby to the chamber, and is surrounded by stained-glass windows and bronze statues.
Immediately north of the legislature building, beyond the fountains, is the Legislative Assembly Interpretive Centre (10820 98th Ave., 780/427-7362), which recounts the development of Alberta’s political history and serves as the starting point for free tours of the Legislature Building. Between mid-May and October, tours depart daily on the hour in the morning from 9 a.m. and every 30 minutes in the afternoon weekdays until 5 p.m., the rest of the year hourly weekdays 9 a.m.–4 p.m. and weekends noon–4 p.m.
© Andrew Hempstead, from Moon Western Canada, 3rd Edition