Cabildo de Córdoba
Replacing an earlier building that had deteriorated over a century and a half, the colonial Cabildo dates from 1775. Its outstanding feature is the ground-floor gallery, with 15 graceful arches; the clock tower is an 1885 addition. It now holds the Museo de la Ciudad (tel. 0351/434-1202, 10 a.m.–7 p.m. Tues.–Sun., US$0.50).
A plaque on the Pasaje Santa Catalina side acknowledges the building’s unsavory recent history—during the 1976–1983 dictatorship, the “D2” provincial police station here was a torture center.
© Wayne Bernhardson from Moon Argentina, 3rd edition