Cripta Jesuítica del Noviciado Viejo
Uncovered in 1989, this subterranean Jesuit chapel dates from the early 18th century, when it was part of a more extravagant project terminated on orders from Rome. After the Jesuits’ 1767 expulsion, the Bethlemites used it as a hospital, but soon abandoned it for Hospital San Roque. It was later used for burials, but the creation of Avenida Colón in the 1920s filled it with rubble.
Thick but unfinished stone walls separate its three naves. In its restored state, it hosts exhibits, small theater presentations, and concerts. The Cripta Jesuítica (Rivera Indarte and Avenida Colón, tel. 0351/428-4500, cryptajesuitica [at] hotmail [dot] com, US$0.50) is open 10 a.m.–3 p.m. weekdays only.
© Wayne Bernhardson from Moon Argentina, 3rd edition