The most worthwhile sights near Posadas are the Jesuit mission ruins of Trinidad and Jesús and Santa Ana and Loreto across the border in Paraguay and en route to San Ignacio de Miní and Puerto Iguazú.
In town, on the east side of Plaza 9 de Julio, the Francophile Casa de Gobierno (1883) was actually the work of an Italian, engineer Juan Col. On the plaza’s north side, famed architect Alejandro Bustillo designed the twin-towered Catedral (1937).
Posadas’s waterfront Museo Ferrobarcos, at the east end of Avenida Guacurarí, is where trains between Buenos Aires and Asunción once shuttled across the river. Built in Glasgow in 1911, this rail ferry transported up to four passenger cars or eight cargo units at a time across the river from 1913 until 1990, when train service between the two countries ceased. Now staffed by retired railroad workers, it’s open 6 p.m.–midnight weekdays, 6 p.m.–2 a.m. weekends and holidays; admission is free.
© Wayne Bernhardson from Moon Argentina, 3rd edition