The best starting point is the Amgueddfa Hanesyddol (Sarmiento and 28 de Julio, tel. 02965/49-1007, 3–7 p.m. Tues.–Sun., US$0.50), the regional historical museum in the former train station. Staffed by Welsh- and English-speaking volunteers, it holds documents, photographs, and possessions of early immigrants.
Two blocks northwest, Dolavon-bound trains no longer chug through the Twnnel yr Hen Reilfford, a 300-meter brick tunnel that’s now open to pedestrians only. A block west of the tunnel exit, dating from 1899, the Coleg Camwy (Bouchard and Michael D. Jones) may have been Patagonia’s first secondary school. At the east end of 28 de Julio, historic headstones, many of them in Welsh, dot the Mynwent (cemetery).
© Wayne Bernhardson from Moon Argentina, 3rd edition