Museo Regional Pueblo de Luis
An antique steam locomotive and other equipment still stand outside Trelew’s former train station, where, from 1889 to 1961, the Ferrocarril Central Chubut delivered passengers and freight from Puerto Madryn. Now housing the regional museum, packed with Welsh memorabilia, including historical photographs, furnishings, and clothing, the interior is short on interpretation; this remains to be remedied as it becomes an “Ecomuseo” documenting the landscape’s transformation by aboriginal peoples and European settlers.
The Museo Regional (Avenida Fontana and Lewis Jones, tel. 02965/42-4062, US$0.50) is open 8 a.m.–8 p.m. weekdays and 2–8 p.m. weekends.
© Wayne Bernhardson from Moon Argentina, 3rd edition