The headquarters of the Bermuda Regiment, Warwick Camp (1 South Shore Rd., at Camp Rd., tel. 441/238-1045) covers a large property west of Warwick Long Bay and opposite the entrance to Stonehole and Chaplin Bays. Although not generally open to the public, special tours or visits to the hillside site can be arranged.
Built in the 1870s, Warwick Camp was chosen for its strategic location to foil potential beach invasions and now comprises barracks, an officers’ mess, a canteen, and firing range. Regiment recruits conduct training exercises on the nearby dunes, allowing passersby the rather incongruous scene of soldiers playing war while beach-lovers frolic in the surf a short distance away.
© Rosemary Jones from Moon Bermuda, 2nd Edition