From Guatemala’s Western Highlands to Nicaragua’s beaches and Costa Rica’s volcanoes, there’s a lot to see and do in Central America.
Recent Central America Books
- Tropical Diseases in Belize: What are the risks? Planning to travel or move to Belize? Learn more about the main tropical diseases in Belize, the risk of illness, and what preventative measures to take.
- Costa Rica’s Gandoca-Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge In addition to beaches where sea turtles lay their eggs, the Gandoca-Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge also protects rare swamp habitats, including the only mangrove forest on Costa Rica’s Caribbean shores.
Costa Rica Travel Guides
- Ecoutourism Treks in Guatemala Community tourism initiatives, whereby local Maya guides take travelers to seldom-seen locales in Guatemala’s rugged countryside, make for some extraordinary cross-cultural opportunities. Here are some recommendations for where to start your trek.
Guatemala Travel Guides
- Visiting Isla del Tigre and Amapala The volcanic island of Isla del Tigre is hardly more than spitting distance from the Honduran mainland, but it has a few decent beaches, some good seafood, and an appealing lost-in-time feel.
Honduras Travel Guides
- Revolutionary Managua Driving Tour If you have a rainy afternoon in Managua some day, hop in a taxi, and revisit history on this short (roughly 30 minute) driving tour.
Nicaragua Travel Guides
- Crossing the Border into Nicaragua or Panamá from Costa Rica Did you know that you can’t travel from Costa Rica to Nicaragua or Panamá with a rental car? No matter your mode of travel, discover essential info about the major and minor border crossings, including forms, documents, and inspections.
Panama Travel Guides
Photo at top © Serge Melki, licensed Creative Commons Attribution.