From Guatemala’s Western Highlands to Nicaragua’s beaches and Costa Rica’s volcanoes, there’s a lot to see and do in Central America.
Recent Central America Books
- Bites and Stings in Belize Thousands of people dive in Belize’s Caribbean and hike its forests every day of the year without incident. This guide is only to let you know what’s out there, not to scare you into remaining in your resort.
Belize Travel Guides
- Wildlife Reserves and More along the Costa de Pájaros There’s fabulous bird-watching among the mangroves that line the shore near Manzanillo. Known as the Costa de Pájaros, there are ibis, herons, pelicans, parrots, egrets, and more waiting to be spotted. Learn about where to see these feathered creatures.
Costa Rica Travel Guides
- Ecoutourism Treks in Guatemala Community tourism initiatives, whereby local Maya guides take travelers to seldom-seen locales in Guatemala’s rugged countryside, make for some extraordinary cross-cultural opportunities. Here are some recommendations for where to start your trek.
Guatemala Travel Guides
- Visiting Isla del Tigre and Amapala The volcanic island of Isla del Tigre is hardly more than spitting distance from the Honduran mainland, but it has a few decent beaches, some good seafood, and an appealing lost-in-time feel.
Honduras Travel Guides
- Festivals and Events in Managua August is the best month of the year in Managua—you can expect parades, horse shows, and unlimited quantities of beer and rum. Here’s more information about festivals in the city (including July 19th celebrations) to help you plan your trip.
Nicaragua Travel Guides
- Crossing the Border into Nicaragua or Panamá from Costa Rica Did you know that you can’t travel from Costa Rica to Nicaragua or Panamá with a rental car? No matter your mode of travel, discover essential info about the major and minor border crossings, including forms, documents, and inspections.
Panama Travel Guides
Photo at top © Serge Melki, licensed Creative Commons Attribution.