A land of clay-tiled villages and soaring cathedrals, of volcanic heat and Caribbean cool, Nicaragua is as charming as it is diverse, enticing as it is unfathomable. Its seven million proud, outspoken inhabitants continue to reinvent themselves amid unending political, geological, and economic drama.
Planning Your Trip
If You Have…
One week: Visit Granada and San Juan del Sur.
Two weeks: Add La Isla de Ometepe and/or a side trip to León and the northwest beaches.
Three weeks: Add the Solentiname Islands and a trip down the Río San Juan. Take the time to hike a volcano or explore the Estero Reál. Or work your way up the Pacific coast, one beach at a time.
Nicaragua Trip Itineraries
Where to Go in Nicaragua
- Visiting Volcán Masaya National Park
- Visiting Nicaragua: Where and When to Go
- The Colonial Charm of Granada, Nicaragua
- Laguna de Apoyo in Masaya, Nicaragua
- Discover the Charming Diversity of Nicaragua
Recreation in Nicaragua
- Boating, Swimming, and Bicycling in Granada
- The Best of Nicaragua in Two Weeks
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
Other Nicaragua Articles
Photo at top © Robert Lerich/123rf.