Boasting 50 blocks of fine Victorian and Queen Anne frame houses, Savannah’s Victorian district gets nowhere near the media attention as the older, more stately homes closer to the river. But it is truly magnificent in its own right, and nearly as expansive. The city’s first suburb, built between 1870 and 1910, it runs from roughly Gwinnett Street south to Anderson Street, with Montgomery and Price Streets as east/west boundaries.
In addition to the glories of Forsyth Park, some key areas for connoisseurs of truly grand Victorian architecture are the residential blocks of East Hall Street between Lincoln and Price Streets—one of the few street sections in town with the original paving. Some other nice examples are in the 1900-2000 blocks of Bull Street near the large Bull Street Public Library, including the famous “Gingerbread House” at 1917 Bull St., now a private bridal design studio.
© Jim Morekis from Moon Charleston & Savannah, 4th Edition