The Mayer House
311 East Blvd., Charlotte
Though it’s referred to as the Mayer House in honor of its first owners, Robert Andrew Mayer and Mina Caldwell Brem Mayer, the couple lived in the house for less than a decade. Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company (known as the 4Cs) built the home in 1907 and sold it to the Mayers for $3,801. In 1916, the couple decided to move to the burgeoning neighborhood of Myers Park and the house was sold.
It’s changed hands numerous times, and in 1937 it was separated into apartments. J. Reeves McCullers and his wife, Carson Smith McCullers, took up residence in one of the apartments. During that time, Carson Smith McCullers began writing her first novel, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, which rose to the top of bestseller lists in 1940. In the 1980s, the historic residence was turned into a restaurant.
© Jodi Helmer from Moon Charlotte, 1st Edition