Templo y Ex-Convento del Carmen
Located at the southern end of the pedestrian walkway, the 17th-century El Carmen complex once housed the only nunnery between Guatemala and Oaxaca. Today, while little remains of the original convent, the imposing church and deep-red bell-tower arch are prominent landmarks in San Cristóbal. The bell tower was built in 1677 to replace the original one, which was destroyed by a flood 25 years earlier.
The building next to the church is what remains of the convent; today it houses the Casa de Cultura (tel. 967/678-2349, 9 a.m.–1 p.m. and 4–7 p.m. Mon.–Fri.), which in addition to offering artistic workshops for kids has a beautiful garden and orchid nursery—perfect spots to spend a quiet afternoon writing postcards.
© Liza Prado and Gary Chandler from Moon Chiapas, 1st Edition