When to Go
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Costa Rica has two distinct seasons: dry season (December–April) and wet season (May–November). Although regional distinctions exist, rainy season is typified by brief afternoon showers or downpours. As the season progresses, more sustained rains occur, often lasting for days. Prices are usually lower in rainy season, and it is easier to find vacant rooms in popular destinations. The Caribbean and Osa Peninsula can be rainy year-round. Dry season is usually sunny.
Peak-season rates usually apply for Christmas, New Year’s, and Easter, when many accommodations and car rentals are booked months in advance.
My favorite time to visit is May through early June, when crowds have departed and the first rains have greened up the scenery.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition