- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Hardly a month goes by without another “canopy tour” opening in Costa Rica (at least 40 existed at last visit). No experience is necessary for most such treetop explorations, which usually consist of a system of treetop platforms linked by horizontal transverse zip lines (cables) that permit you to “fly” through the treetops.
The originator of the concept, the Original Canopy Tour (tel. 506/2291-4465, www.canopytour.com), has four facilities: at Monteverde, Liverpool (near Limón), Drake Bay, and Mahogany Park (near Orotina).
There is no government regulation, and not all operators use safe practices. Several people have been killed or seriously injured. We cannot guarantee the safety of any particular operation. If you have doubts, pass!
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition