Simón Bolívar Zoo
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
The 14-acre Parque Zoológico (Calle 7 and Avenida 11, tel. 506/2256-0012, www.fundazoo.org, 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. daily, $3 adults, $2 children) has steadily improved, although conditions for many animals still fall short. The native species on display include spider and capuchin monkeys, amphibians and reptiles, most of the indigenous cats, and a small variety of birds, including toucans and tame macaws.
A Nature Center has a video room, library, and work area for schoolchildren.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition