University of Costa Rica
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
The School of Music (Facultad de Artes Musicales) basement houses the Museo de Insectos (tel. 506/2207-5647, www.miucr.ucr.ac.cr, 1–5 p.m. Mon.–Fri., $2 adults, $0.50 children), one of the largest collections of insects in the world. The Insect Museum features an immense variety of Costa Rican and Central American insects, including a spectacular display of butterflies. Knowledgeable guides are available, but call ahead.
The university planetarium (tel. 506/2511-2580, http://planetario.ucr.ac.cr), or planetario, has three daily presentations on astronomy (in Spanish only, $3 adults, $2.50 students). English-language presentations can be requested in advance.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition