- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
The Central Market (6 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon.–Sat.) between Avenidas Central/1 and Calles 6/8 is San José’s most colorful market and heady on atmosphere.
There are booths selling octopus, dorado, and shrimp; butchers’ booths with oxtails and pigs’ heads; flower stalls; saddle shops; and booths selling medicinal herbs guaranteed to cure everything from sterility to common colds.
Pickpockets thrive in crowded places like this—watch your valuables.
Two nearby monuments worth noting are the Monumento Los Presentes (Calle 4, Avenida Central), a grouping of seven patinated statues of Costa Rican folk; and the bronze statue dedicated to Guanacastecan women, one block farther east.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition