Postal, Telegraphic, and Philatelic Museum
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Overlooking a grassy plaza, the exquisite Edificio Postal (Calle 2, Avenidas 1/3), the main post office, dates from 1911 in a dramatic eclectic style with Corinthian pilasters adorning the facade.
The Postal, Telegraphic, and Philatelic Museum (tel. 506/2223-9766, ext. 219, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon.–Fri., $0.35; buy your ticket—a prepaid postcard—in the philately office downstairs), on the 2nd floor, features old telephones, philatelic history displays, and postage stamps including Costa Rica’s oldest stamp—dating from 1863. It hosts a stamp exchange the first Saturday of every month.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition