Highway 32 to Puerto Limón
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Drive carefully: The heavily trafficked Highway 32 coils steeply down the mountains and is often fog-bound, landslides are frequent, and Costa Rican drivers can be exceedingly reckless—all of which makes for a white-knuckle drive. The road is frequently closed due to landslides; call the tránsitos (tel. 506/2268-2157) before setting out.
The road spills onto the northern lowlands at El Cruce, at the junction with Highway 4, with a gas station and Rancho Roberto’s (tel. 506/2711-0050), a huge, modestly elegant thatched restaurant.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition