- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
EARTH (Escuela de Agricultura de la Región Tropical Húmeda, tel. 506/2713-0000, www.earth.ac.cr, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. daily), School of Tropical Humid Agriculture, one kilometer east of town, is a university that teaches agricultural techniques to students from Latin America. It specializes in researching ecologically sound, or sustainable, agriculture. EARTH has its own banana plantation and 400-hectare forest reserve with nature trails. Visitors are welcome. Costa Rica Expeditions (tel. 506/2257-0766, www.costaricaexpeditions.com) offers a full-day tour from San José.
Getting to Guácimo
Buses (tel. 506/2222-0610 and 506/2716-6037) for Guácimo leave San José from Gran Terminal del Caribe on Calle Central, Avenidas 13/15 ($2.75), eight times daily, 5:30 a.m.–7 p.m.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition