Finca la Isla Botanical Garden
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
This five-hectare botanical garden and farm (tel. 506/2750-0046, www.costaricacaribbean.com, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Fri.–Mon., $5 self-guided tour, $8–10 pp with guided tour for three people or more), one kilometer west of Puerto Viejo, is a treat for anyone interested in nature.
Here, Lindy and Peter Kring grow spices, exotic fruits, and ornamental plants for sale. You can sample the fruits and even learn about chocolate production. There’s also a self-guided booklet ($1).
Toucans and sloths are commonly seen, and four species of poison-dart frogs make their homes in the bromeliads grown for sale. You’re virtually guaranteed to see them hopping around underfoot even as you step from your car!
The finca is 400 meters from the road (200 meters west of El Pizote Lodge) and is signed. Lunches are offered by arrangement.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition