Palacio de Aldama
The Palacio de Aldama, on Parque de la Fraternidad’s far southwest corner, is a grandiose mansion built in neoclassical style in 1844 for a wealthy Basque, Don Domingo Aldama y Arrechaga. Its facade is lined by Ionic columns, and the interior features murals of scenes from Pompeii; the garden courtyard features ornamental fountains.
When the owner’s nationalist feelings became known it was ransacked and the interior defaced in 1868 by the Spanish Volunteers militia.
Today it houses the Instituto de la Historia del Movimiento Comunista y de la Revolución Socialista de Cuba (Institute of the History of the Communist Movement and the Socialist Revolution of Cuba, Amistad #510, e/ Reina y Estrella, tel. 07/862-2076) but is not open to the public.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Cuba, 5th Edition