Iglesia y Convento de Santa Clara
The Santa Clara Convent (2a Avenida Sur #27, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. daily, $4) originally dates to 1702, with its current incarnation having been inaugurated in 1734 and destroyed in 1773. Its ruins are also pleasant for a stroll and in front of its main entrance is Parque La Unión with several wash basins, known as pilas, where women gather to do their laundry.
The park’s other outstanding feature is a large stone cross, a gift from the city of Santiago de Compostela, Spain. The church is beautifully floodlighted at night.
© Al Argueta from Moon Guatemala, 3rd Edition. Photos © Al Argueta www.alargueta.com