Iglesia de la Caridad Illescas
Several blocks northeast of the square, La Caridad was also intended during the colonial era for use by the mestizo, black, and Indian populations in the neighborhood. Construction on the church began in 1629. Of the several religious artworks within, of particular note are the gold- and silver-lined retablo dedicated to Santa Lucía and the statue of the Señor de la Burrita, the Lord of the Little Donkey.
© Chris Humphrey and Amy E. Robertson from Moon Honduras, 5th Edition