Parroquia de San Francisco
Facing a small, shady park three blocks east of the square, Parroquia de San Francisco is the oldest extant church in the city, first erected in 1592 and rebuilt in 1740. Inside the church are a gilded altarpiece and several colonial-era religious paintings, although the doors have been closed for ages, reputedly for renovations.
The building next door, formerly the Franciscan monastery, is now used by the army for a rather sad military museum that will hopefully improve when its current renovation is completed.
© Chris Humphrey and Amy E. Robertson from Moon Honduras, 5th Edition