Fortunately, safety standards are high throughout the Bay Islands. But when choosing your shop, it is a good idea to personally verify minimal safety standards. Below is a set of questions to ask (and be sure to verify the answers with your own eyes; don’t just take the staff’s word for it).
- Do you carry oxygen on the boat?
- Do you carry a VHF radio? (A cell phone is not nearly as reliable.)
- Does the boat stay at the dive site after dropping off divers?
- Is the boat manned by a captain at all times? (Some shops expect dive masters or instructors to also serve as the captain.)
- When was your air last analyzed? (The analysis certificate should be dated within the past three months.)
© Chris Humphrey and Amy E. Robertson from Moon Honduras, 5th Edition